Communications Specialist for Job Seekers
I’ve always enjoyed writing and helping people, so I built a business around these passions.
My background prepared me well for the career marketing and resume writing profession. After getting my start as an award-winning daily newspaper reporter, I went on to work at a small marketing and public relations firm, where I became a manager.
How My Background Benefits You
My experience as a journalist helped me develop strong interviewing and writing abilities, and these skills now come in handy for interviewing clients and writing their resumes and other marketing materials.
I’ve also been on both sides of the hiring process, giving me an understanding of the thought process of both the employer and the job seeker. The insight I gained as a manager benefits my clients, and I’m also sympathetic to my clients’ challenges because I’ve experienced the frustration of a difficult job search myself.
Recent Media Mentions
I’m frequently quoted as a resume/career expert in news articles; here are links to a few recent articles (the links will open in new windows):
MSN Careers / CareerBuilder — May 8, 2012
“What You Can Learn from Not Getting the Job”
Fast Company — April 23, 2012
“10 Ways to Craft Your Resume for Ultra-Short Attention Spans” – slide show
(I’m quoted on two of the slides in the slide show.)
About.com Legal Careers
Resume Tips for Older Workers
CareerBliss — January 2012
Master the Over-the-Phone Job Interview
Resume Writers’ Digest / Squidoo
Using LinkedIn in Your Job Search
Career-Intelligence.com — November 2011
Resume Not Getting Results? Here Are a Few Common Mistakes
Contributor to Gallery of Best Cover Letters, 4th edition (JIST, 2012). This is the most recent edition of a bestselling book edited by Dr. David Noble, who selected one of my cover letters for inclusion in the book. The book is available through Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and other booksellers.
I’m a Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW). I received this credential from the Professional Association of Resume Writers and Career Coaches (PARW/CC) after passing a four-part timed exam that tests knowledge of employment topics and resume writing ability. (To verify my credential, visit this page on PARW/CC’s website and search for me by my last name.)
- National Résumé Writers’ Association
- Professional Association of Resume Writers and Career Coaches
- Career Directors International
(To verify my membership in these organizations, you may search for me on each site by my name or location.)
Education & Training
- B.A. in communications with a concentration in print journalism and a minor in English from the University of North Florida.
- Ongoing training from the National Resume Writers’ Association, Career Directors International, and Preptel Corporation. I spend hundreds of dollars on training each year so that I can stay current on trends and best practices to better serve my clients.
Still want to know more about me? View my LinkedIn profile! You don’t have to be a member of LinkedIn to view my public LinkedIn profile. However, LinkedIn unfortunately won’t display recommendations on public profiles; you must be a member and be logged into your account to view my recommendations, which are testimonials about me written by other users of LinkedIn. To see my profile with recommendations, just as a LinkedIn member would see it, you can view this PDF of my LinkedIn profile.
- Past president, Soroptimist International of Redlands
- Past board member, American Marketing Association – Inland Empire
- Past board member, Public Relations Society of America – CA Inland Empire Chapter
- Past board member, National Association of Women Business Owners – Inland Empire
More About Me
I’m a bit of a globe-trotter and love to travel. I’ve lived in the Philippines, Switzerland, Greece, Botswana (Africa), the Middle East, and the United States. I’ve also traveled to several other countries.
Want to learn more?