Kelly Donovan, CPRW, CHJMC
Executive Resume Writer & LinkedIn Profile Writer
I’ve always enjoyed writing and helping people, so I built a business around these passions. My background prepared me well for the career communications and resume writing profession. After getting my start as an award-winning daily newspaper reporter, I went on to work at a small marketing and public relations firm, where I became a manager.
How My Background Benefits You
My experience as a journalist helped me develop strong interviewing and writing abilities, and these skills now come in handy for interviewing clients and writing their resumes and other marketing materials. I’ve also been on both sides of the hiring process, giving me an understanding of the thought process of both the employer and the job seeker.
I’ve been quoted on career topics in articles by Forbes, the New York Post, Fast Company, the Detroit Free Press, Monster.com, the Cincinnati Enquirer, Yahoo! Finance, MSN Careers, and many others; see a list of my most recent media coverage and blog posts here.
My work has been featured in popular career books available at Barnes & Noble, on Amazon, and through other booksellers:
- Contributor to Resumes for Dummies, 7th ed. (Wiley, 2015)
- Contributor to Gallery of Best Cover Letters, 4th ed. (JIST, 2012)
- Contributor to Modernize Your Job Search Letters: Get Noticed … Get Hired (Emerald Career Publishing, 2016)
- Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW). I received this credential from the Professional Association of Resume Writers and Career Coaches (PARW/CC) after passing a four-part timed exam that tests knowledge of employment topics and resume writing ability. (To verify my credential, visit this page on PARW/CC’s website and search for me by my last name.)
- Certified Hidden Job Market Coach (CHJMC). I earned this credential through the Career Thought Leaders Consortium after completing a six-week course covering job search strategies, coaching approaches, and structuring of services to help candidates land faster.
My work was nominated for an international resume writing award in 2013. A resume I wrote garnered a nomination in the “Re-Entry” category of the prestigious Toast of the Resume Industry (TORI) competition sponsored by Career Directors International. The competition draws entries from the top resume writers worldwide and is judged by distinguished industry veterans and past winners.
- National Résumé Writers’ Association
- Professional Association of Resume Writers and Career Coaches
- Career Directors International
(To verify my membership in these organizations, you may search for me on each site by my name or location.)
Education & Training
- B.A. in communications with a concentration in print journalism and a minor in English from the University of North Florida.
- Ongoing training from the National Resume Writers’ Association, Career Directors International, Career Thought Leaders, and Resume Writing Academy. I have spent thousands of dollars and 140+ hours on training so I can best serve my clients.
I started my business in 2007 after helping friends and family members with their resumes and realizing that I was good at helping them, and also enjoyed doing it. The following year, I left my day job to be self-employed full time, and I never looked back! Since starting my business, I’ve gained substantial training in career development topics, and I’ve continued to improve the value I offer my clients. My business has evolved just as the job market has evolved–for example, LinkedIn was an afterthought when I started, and now it’s a key piece of each client’s strategy.
Want to know more about me? View my LinkedIn profile! You don’t have to be a member of LinkedIn to view my public LinkedIn profile.
Community & Professional Involvement
- Past president, Soroptimist International of Redlands (Redlands, CA)
- Past board member, American Marketing Association – Inland Empire (Riverside, CA)
- Past board member, Public Relations Society of America – CA Inland Empire Chapter (Riverside, CA)
- Past board member, National Association of Women Business Owners – Inland Empire (Corona, CA)
More About Me
A world traveler, I’ve lived in the Philippines, Switzerland, Greece, Botswana (Africa), the Middle East, and various states in the U.S. I’m originally from the Washington, D.C., area and am now based in Southern California.