Executive Resume Writer, LinkedIn Profile Writer, and Job Search Coach
Kelly Donovan, CPRW, CHJMC – Principal of Kelly Donovan & Associates
I started my business in 2007 after helping friends and family members with their resumes and realizing that I was good at helping them, and also enjoyed doing it. After gaining some momentum, I left my day job to be self-employed full time in 2008, and I never looked back!
Since then, I’ve gained substantial training in career development topics, and I’ve continued to improve the value I offer my clients. My business has evolved as the job market has evolved, and staying on the leading edge has always been a major differentiator from my competitors.
My prior career history has also been helpful. After earning my B.A. in communications, I worked as an award-winning daily newspaper reporter, which helped me develop strong interviewing and writing abilities that now come in handy for interviewing clients and writing compelling content for them.
After three years in journalism, I made a slight career change and went to work at a small marketing and PR firm, where I became its manager. This gave me a taste of both sides of the hiring process, helping me understand the challenges and perspectives of both job seekers and employers.
My business has been featured on Face the Truth, a CBS talk show televised throughout the U.S., and I’ve been quoted on career topics in articles appearing in/on Forbes, Fast Company, Money Magazine, Entrepreneur, New York Post, Glassdoor, Detroit Free Press, Monster.com, Cincinnati Enquirer, Yahoo! Finance, CareerBuilder, Business News Daily, MSN Careers, and many others; see a list of my most recent media coverage and blog posts here.
My work has been featured in popular career books available through Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and other booksellers:
- Resumes for Dummies, 8th Ed. (Wiley, 2019) and 7th ed. (Wiley, 2015) by Laura DeCarlo
- Modernize Your Job Search Letters: Get Noticed … Get Hired (Emerald Career Publishing, 2016) by Wendy Enelow and Louise Kursmark
- Gallery of Best Cover Letters, 4th ed. (JIST, 2012) by David F. Noble
- 101 Great Ways to Compete in Today’s Job Market (Self Improvement Online Inc., 2013) by Michelle A. Riklan and David Riklan
- Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW). I received this credential from the Professional Association of Resume Writers and Career Coaches (PARW/CC) after passing an exam that tests knowledge of employment topics and resume writing ability. (To verify my credential, visit this page on PARW/CC’s website and search for me by my last name.)
- Certified Hidden Job Market Coach (CHJMC). I earned this credential through the Career Thought Leaders Consortium after completing an extensive course covering job search strategies, coaching approaches, and structuring of services to help candidates land faster.
My work was nominated for an international resume writing award in 2013. A resume I wrote garnered a nomination in the “Re-Entry” category of the prestigious Toast of the Resume Industry (TORI) competition sponsored by Career Directors International. The competition draws entries from the top resume writers worldwide and is judged by distinguished industry veterans and past winners.
- National Résumé Writers’ Association
- Professional Association of Resume Writers and Career Coaches
- Career Directors International
(To verify my membership in these organizations, you can search for me on each site by my name or location.)
Education & Training
- B.A. in communications with a concentration in print journalism and a minor in English from the University of North Florida.
- Ongoing training from the National Resume Writers’ Association, Career Directors International, Career Thought Leaders, and Resume Writing Academy. I have spent thousands of dollars and 140+ hours on training so I can best serve my clients.
Want more details? Check out my public LinkedIn profile!
Community & Professional Involvement
- Past president, Soroptimist International of Redlands (Redlands, CA)
- Past board member, American Marketing Association – Inland Empire (Riverside, CA)
- Past board member, Public Relations Society of America – CA Inland Empire Chapter (Riverside, CA)
- Past board member, National Association of Women Business Owners – Inland Empire (Corona, CA)
A world traveler, I’ve lived in the Philippines, Switzerland, Greece, Botswana, Kuwait, and Bahrain. I’m originally from the Washington, D.C. area, went to college in Florida, and am now based in Southern California. My past global experience helps me relate to executives from around the world and clients of all cultures and nationalities.